Friday, February 27, 2009

Let Me In The Sound.

DISCLAIMER: I am fully incapable, I think, of anything approaching objectivity when it comes to U2.

It's fascinating how utterly impossible it is to judge a new U2 record on its own merits. I happen to think that context is an absolute ironclad requirement in the exploration and criticism of all music -- but that might just be an overly bookish statement of an obvious human fact: everything requires context. That said, how do you escape not just the comparison of this record to the rest of the catalog, but the ongoing context of a band that has done what no rock band has ever done -- remained artistically and commercially relevant, worldwide, for over 30 years? Regardless of your personal opinion of the music or the sanctimoniousness or the glitter-ball lemon, that's indisputable. The fact that they don't just put out hits comps every two years is almost enough. But they are artistically restless in a way that, again, no band ever has been. This includes the Beatles. Radiohead is obviously headed in the same direction, but they're only halfway down the U2 path, and as much as I adore them, it could certainly be argued that they don't have nearly the commercial visibility that U2 has. Now, I don't necessarily agree with that argument -- the record business is completely and utterly changed now, and it may be simultaneously impossible for any band from here on out to "pull a U2," and possible to make more money not being on a label, but that's another conversation.

Right now, I like this record so much that it makes the last two records worse by comparison. I've been ruminating on a U2 theory for a while, not sure that it was ready for public consumption (I use "public" veeeeeeery loosely, of course), but here goes: the live U2 experience is so transcendent that it renders the records irrelevant. Having heard them re-embrace exploration -- and especially sonic exploration -- on No Line on the Horizon actually cements this theory, at least for the last two. All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb were much more linear, song-based records. Minimal frills, trying to serve the song rather than create an atmosphere. Not a negative, and God knows that there were hall of fame moments on both -- I remember thinking the first time I heard "Beautiful Day," in the midst of all the rap-rock on the radio, that I had forgotten that music could sound like that -- but I rarely go back to them. Having been in the room for the miracle that is a U2 show on both those tours, the recorded versions just can't measure up. I carry those songs with me as living, moving things, markers of a life attempting grace, but oddly enough am relatively uninspired to put the needle on the records.

Speaking of dropping the needle, a quality first listen has become increasingly rare for me, given the volume of my children and my recent predilection for vinyl, which necessarily requires me to be in the living room, which brings into play the volume of my children. So to be surprised with a digital leak literally one hour before I was out the door to drop one off at preschool and get the other one a-nappin' was an immeasurable blessing. And even moreso, since No Line's thesis statement, easily found in "Get On Your Boots" and a couple other songs, is let me in the sound.

No Line
gave me my most satisfying first listen since I put the headphones on in the office after everyone else had left and got my Kid A on back in 2000. I'm not gonna track-by-track it, but I will say this: the 1-2-3 of "No Line on the Horizon," "Magnificent," and "Moment of Surrender" are easily and obviously the best opening salvo since Achtung Baby. The songs are stone cold killers. It's way too early to say "as good as," but they're in the conversation. Which is thrilling to me. The other thing that stands out right away is that I'm still not quite sure what the band is up to. I'm still under 10 spins, but the concept of a U2 album that's a grower is incredibly exciting. I should say at this point that I listen to a lot of music -- even with the increased demands of family life, it's still waaaaaay more than the average bear -- but needing to explore a record...getting that itch in the middle of all of your busy-ness and finding ways to make time for it -- is something I haven't done in quite a while. Wow, did I miss it.

No comments: